It rained goals in most of the fixtures that were played in the Premier League this weekend with Everton and Spurs beating West Brom and Southampton by a 5-2 scoreline respectively while Leeds scored 4 goals to beat Fulham by a 4-3 scoreline and Leicester defeated Burnley with a 4-2 scoreline.
Manchester United kick-started their season with a disappointing 1-3 loss at home to Crystal Place while their City neighbors defeated Wolves with the same scoreline.
The game of the weekend took place at Stamford Bridge where 2 goals from Sadio Mane helped Liverpool to a see off competition from 10-man Chelsea.
Meanwhile, with the help of OPTA stats, we have gathered some mouth-watering stats from the weekend’s action.
• 100 – Brendan Rodgers recorded his 100th Premier League victory, becoming the 23rd manager to reach 100 wins in the competition. Rodgers is the fourth-quickest British manager to reach the milestone (210 games), after Ferguson (162 games), Dalglish (197), and Keegan (209).
• 4 – Chris Wood has scored in four consecutive Premier League games for the first time, last scoring in four league games on the bounce in January 2017 Leeds in the Championship.
• 3 – Sadio Mané became only the third Liverpool player to score a Premier League brace at Stamford Bridge, after Steve McManaman in December 1995 and Philippe Coutinho in October 2015.
• 1993 – Both Liverpool and Everton kicked off a Premier League season with maximum points from their opening two games for only the second time and for the first time since 1993-94, when the Reds were managed by Graeme Souness and the Toffees by Howard Kendall.
• 2009 – Andreas Christensen is the first player to be sent off in a Premier League fixture between Chelsea and Liverpool since Frank Lampard in February 2009.
• 0 – Newcastle have failed to have a single shot on target in a Premier League home game for the first time since December 2018 against Fulham.
• 7 – Neal Maupay’s brace within seven minutes is the fastest a player has scored twice from the start of a Premier League match since December 2012, when Edin Dzeko scored twice in the first four minutes against Norwich.
• 5 – Harry Kane is the first player to be directly involved in 5 goals in a Premier League game (1 goal, 4 assists) since Mo Salah v Watford in March 2018 (4 goals, 1 assist). It’s the second time Kane has done so (also May 2017 v Leicester).
• 4 – Harry Kane assisted all four of Son Heung-Min’s goals against Southampton on Sunday – the first time in Premier League history one player assisted another four times in a single match.
• 3 – Dominic Calvert-Lewin (23y & 187d) became the youngest Englishman to score a top-flight hat-trick for Everton since Tony Cottee (23y 47d) vs Newcastle in August 1988
• 9 – Since the Premier League resumed last season in June, no player has scored more goals in the competition than Michail Antonio (9, level with Raheem Sterling).
• 50 – Alexandre Lacazette has now scored 50 goals for Arsenal in all competitions becoming the fourth Frenchman to reach this tally for the club after Thierry Henry (228), Robert Pires (84) & Olivier Giroud (105).
• 2 – Crystal Palace have won consecutive away games against Manchester United for the first time in their history.
• 2 – Wilfried Zaha is the first player to score twice in a Premier League game against Manchester United having previously appeared for them in the competition.
• 20 – Donny van de Beek is the 20th different player to score for Man Utd on their Premier League debut and the 10th player to do so from the bench.