Bayern Munich were crowned winners of this season’s Champions League after their one-nil victory over Paris Saint-Germain, It was a pulsating encounter, a final which lived up to its pre-match hype.
It was a thrilling game with end to end attacks from both teams, the first half ended with no goal from both teams but Bayern took the lead just before the hour mark through Kinglsey Coman. They were able to hold on to the lead till the end of the game to seal the victory.
Meanwhile, we have gathered some interesting stats from the 2019/2020 UEFA Champions League campaign for your reading pleasure with the help of Opta data.
• 100% – FC Bayern Munich are the first side in European Cup/Champions League history to win 100% of their games in a single campaign en route to lifting the trophy (11 wins).
• 9 – Bayern striker Robert Lewandowski scored in nine consecutive UEFA Champions League matches, with only Cristiano Ronaldo netting in more successive games in the history of the European Cup/Champions League (11 in a row between June 2017 and April 2018).
• 1 & 41 – This was Paris Saint-Germain’s first-ever European Cup/Champions League final, becoming the 41st different team to reach the showpiece final.
• 5 – Paris Saint-Germain became the fifth French side to reach a European Cup/Champions League final, and first since Monaco in 2004.
• 4 – Thomas Muller appeared in his fourth Champions League final (2010, 2012, 2013, 2020), thus equaling the German record (Toni Kroos also has four final apps).
• 42 – Bayern Munich scored 42 goals in 10 games during this season’s UEFA Champions League, with only Barcelona in 1999/2000 scoring more in a single campaign (45 in 16 matches).
• 4 – Maxwell Cornet has now scored four goals against Manchester City in the Champions League – since Pep Guardiola took charge of the club, only Lionel Messi (4) has scored as many against them in the competition.
• 2 – The 2019/2020 Champions League semi-finals saw two French teams (PSG, Lyon) and two German teams (RB Leipzig, Bayern Munich) compete for a place in the final; the first time since 2012/2013 that there were just two different nations represented at this stage.
• 10 – Serge Gnabry is one of only four players to have been directly involved in 10+ goals in the Champions League this season, along with Robert Lewandowski (19), Erling Haaland (11) and Kylian Mbappé (10).
• 5 – Kingsley Coman became the fifth Frenchman to score in a UEFA Champions League final after Karim Benzema (2018), Zinedine Zidane (2002), Marcel Desailly (1994) and Basile Boli (1993).
• 500 – FC Bayern Munich have scored their 500th UEFA Champions League goal becoming just the third side to reach this tally in the competition after Barcelona (517) and Real Madrid (567).
• 11 – This was Bayern Munich’s 11th European Cup/Champions League final, with only Real Madrid playing in more (16). They currently have five titles, the fourth-best tally behind Real Madrid (13), AC Milan (7), and Liverpool (6).
• 2 – Bayern are also the first team to win the treble on two different occasions (2012/2013 & 2019/2020) since Barcelona did the same in (2008/2009 & 2014/2015).
• 55 – Robert Lewandowski scored 55 goals for FC Bayern Munich in 2019/2020 – 16 more than any other player across Europe’s top five leagues in all competitions.
• 7 – Each of the last seven teams competing in their first European Cup/Champions League final have all lost, with the last first-time winners being Borussia Dortmund in 1997 against Juventus.