After the shocking news that hit the sporting world on Thursday, Barcelona announced that Lionel Messi’s two-decade stay at Barcelona was over after “financial and structural obstacles” prevented the Argentine from signing a new deal. A host of Top European clubs have been linked to the signature of the mercurial Argentine. We bring you some of those transfer gist at a glance!
- Paris St-Germain are to offer Lionel Messi a two-year deal at a meeting scheduled between the Argentina forward’s father and PSG’s hierarchy on Saturday. Source: Telegraph
- Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has requested an “urgent meeting” with Messi’s representatives after it was announced he will not be staying with Barcelona. Source: AS, in Spanish
- PSG boss Mauricio Pochettino confirmed contact has been made about a potential move, and if Messi does sign for the Ligue 1 side it could prompt France striker Kylian Mbappe, 22, to sign a new deal and spell the end of the club’s pursuit of his compatriot Paul Pogba, 28, from Manchester United. Source: ESPN
- Messi himself is said to see Manchester City and a reunion with manager Pep Guardiola as his first-choice destination. Source: Mail
- Brazil striker Neymar, 29, has offered Messi his number 10 shirt at PSG in an attempt to persuade him to move to the Ligue 1 side. Source: RMC Sport
- Argentina striker Sergio Aguero, 33, who joined Barcelona in May after leaving Manchester City, is said to want to leave the Catalan club already after it was announced his close friend Messi was not staying at the Nou Camp. Source: Beteve – in Catalan