It was a Premier League weekend filled with controversies as the VAR’s decisions dominated the headlines once more; Manchester United were awarded a penalty after the final whistle after the VAR caught the ball hitting Brighton striker Maupay on his arm in the penalty area, Bruno Fernandes scored the penalty to give Manchester United a controversial 3-2 victory.
Jose Mourinho was furious at the VAR as EricDier was judged to have handled the ball in the penalty area during the last minutes of the game against Newcastle. Wilson scored the subsequent penalty to hand help Newcastle draw the game.
The game of the week took place at Anfield where goals from Sadio Mane, Andy Robertson and Diogo Jota helped Liverpool to a 3-1 victory after Alexandre Lacazette gave Arsenal the lead in the first half.
Once more, we bring you some of the most interesting stats from the weekend’s actions.
• 18 – No team has dropped more points from winning positions in the Premier League than Arsenal since Mikel Arteta took control of the club.
• 13 – Diogo Jota is the 13th player to score on his Premier League debut for Liverpool, and second to do so in a match against Arsenal, after Sadio Mane.
• 7 – Andrew Robertson has either scored or assisted in seven of his last eight Premier League appearances for Liverpool, only failing to do so against Chelsea (2 goals, 5 assists).
• 27 – Aston Villa have registered a clean sheet for the first time in 27 away Premier League games, since a 0-0 draw with West Brom in January 2016.
• 3 – Fulham are the second team to have conceded at least three goals in each of their opening three Premier League games this season, after West Bromwich Albion; only twice in the previous 28 PL campaigns had a side done so (West Ham in 2010-11 and 2017-18).
• 7 – The Premier League saw seven goals scored from the penalty spot this weekend – the 13th/14th September, 2003 is the only weekend in the competition’s history to see more goals scored from the penalty spot (8).
• 0-4 – Wolves have suffered their heaviest Premier League defeat since March 2012 against Manchester United (5-0).
• 36 – Since the start of the 2017-18 season, only Mohamed Salah (50) and Sergio Agüero (38) have scored more home league goals in England’s top four tiers than West Ham’s Jarrod Bowen (36).
• 3 – Leicester City have won each of their opening three games to a top-flight season for the very first time in the club’s history.
• 1 – For the first time in 686 games as a manager, Pep Guardiola has seen his side concede five goals. It is also the first time in 438 games at the Etihad Stadium that Manchester City have shipped five goals in any competition.
• 1 – Leicester City have become the first side in Premier League history to score three goals from the penalty spot in a single game.
• 96:20 – Since Opta began collecting exact Premier League goal times in 2006, Callum Wilson’s penalty equaliser is the latest any side has scored with their first shot on target in a match in the competition.
• 1 – Thiago Silva is the first outfield player to make an error leading to a goal on their Premier League debut since Issa Diop for West Ham against Arsenal in August 2018.
• 3 – Dominic Calvert-Lewin is the first player to score in each of Everton’s first three Premier League games in a single campaign since Steven Naismith in 2014-15.
• 2011 – Bruno Fernandes’ goal at 99:45 is the latest scored in the Premier League since Juan Mata’s strike for Chelsea against Norwich in August 2011.